Abatements and Exemptions

Abatements are issued by the assessors' office.

If you believe there is an error on your bill or you were incorrectly billed, then you must file an abatement form with the assessors' office. If the assessors approve the request, then they will notify you and the collector. The collector will then post an adjustment on your account. A new bill will not be issued to you. It is your responsibility to ensure that the bill is paid in full by the due date.

Exemptions are granted by the assessors' office.

If you believe you qualify for a property tax exemption, then you may apply annually to the assessors' office. An exemption releases an individual from the requirement to pay all or part of their property tax obligation. Exemptions are available to those individuals who meet the various requirements in the following categories:

  • Seniors
  • Blind
  • Minor children of police/firefighters killed in the line of duty
  • Disabled veterans
  • Widows or widowers
  • Orphaned minor children

For your convenience abatement and exemption forms can be downloaded here. They should be completed and given directly to the assessors in person at one of their meetings, or by mail to:

P.O. Box 126
Royalston, MA  01368

Abatement Forms

Exemption Forms